[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Mar 10 17:22:41 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Pre-installed, or at all installable via packages. I don't think
> requiring a
> > new developer to build CMake before even checking out LLVM is wise.
>
> Why? We require recent compilers and installing a new cmake is easier
> (way easier if from source) than a new gcc.
>
> We already require it of every developer using windows or os X. By the
> same argument we should be providing xcode and msvc projects :-)

FWIW, my stance is not that we can't do this, just that it (like requiring
a modern compiler) has a cost that we should consider carefully before we
impose it on folks.

When we updated the compilers, we aimed for ones that would be installed on
the new LTS ubuntu release at the time of the next release.