[LLVMdev] PRE implementation in LLVM

Aradhya Biswas cs11b003 at iith.ac.in
Tue Mar 10 05:36:58 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I am Aradhya Biswas, currently in senior year of my undergraduate studies
in the field of Computer Science and Engineering at Indian Institute of
Technology Hyderabad (IITH).

I was first introduced to LLVM about a year ago in the course "Principles
of Compiler Design" (http://www.iith.ac.in/~ramakrishna/Compilers-Aug14/)
at IITH. Since the introduction, I have used  LLVM for a multitude of my
course assignments and mini-projects.

While studying the compiler optimization theory, LLVM always served as best
tool for experimenting. But recently when I came across the concept of
Partial Redundancy Elimination, I could not find any exclusive
implementation of it in the present LLVM framework. On digging a little
deeper, I could find that the implementation of GVN subsumes the load PRE
and a specific case (namely, the diamond case) of scalar PRE in the present
LLVM framework.

I had two question in this regards :

   1. Where can I find the theory related to load PRE implemented here
   <http://llvm.org/docs/doxygen/html/GVN_8cpp_source.html> (line no.
   01517) ?
   2. Are there any other implementation of PRE in the present LLVM
   framework ?

Thanks,
Aradhya Biswas
Final Year Undergraduate Student,
Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad