[LLVMdev] Long-Term Support for LLVM Projects Extension to Build System?

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 17:14:06 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 5:07 PM John Criswell <jtcriswel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/18/15 6:49 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
>  Long term we don't want to keep the burden of two build systems in tree.
> CMake is turning out to be the build system we want because of its
> multi-platform support, etc and as soon as the CMake system can do
> everything we can do with the autoconf/makefile build I plan on turning
> down the support for that and removing the code.
>

> Thanks, but I wasn't asking about autoconf vs. cmake.

Well, you are, but only sorta.

> I'm wanting to know whether the ability to "plug into" the LLVM build
> system by external projects will be maintained.  For example, SAFECode
> doesn't have its own build system; it uses LLVM's, and it does so without
> being a "patch" to the LLVM source tree.  You can put the SAFECode source
> code anywhere you like, use LLVM-style Makefiles in its source code, and
> build it.  All of the PROJ_SRC_ROOT, PROJ_OBJ_ROOT magic in the autoconf
> build system is what permits that feature to work.
>
> Do you intend to keep this functionality when you replace autoconf with
> cmake, or will all projects that want to use the LLVM build system need to
> place their source code in the LLVM source tree?  To put it another way, do
> you intend to deprecate the PROJ_SRC_ROOT/PROJ_OBJ_ROOT stuff?
>
> While I've enjoyed the PROJ_* magic, I can see why you'd want to get rid
> of it.  I just want to ensure that you are not planning on replacing it.

Right. So this is a "autoconf/makefile build system vs cmake build system"
question as the Makefiles would, theoretically, all go away at the end. I
don't think anyone has plans of replacing this functionality (Chris?), but
migrating out of tree projects to hook in via modifying the cmake build
locally shouldn't be too bad.

-eric