[LLVMdev] Long-Term Support for LLVM Projects Extension to Build System?

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 17:07:03 PDT 2015

On 6/18/15 6:49 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Long term we don't want to keep the burden of two build systems in
> tree. CMake is turning out to be the build system we want because of
> its multi-platform support, etc and as soon as the CMake system can do
> everything we can do with the autoconf/makefile build I plan on
> turning down the support for that and removing the code.

Thanks, but I wasn't asking about autoconf vs. cmake.

I'm wanting to know whether the ability to "plug into" the LLVM build
system by external projects will be maintained.  For example, SAFECode
doesn't have its own build system; it uses LLVM's, and it does so
without being a "patch" to the LLVM source tree.  You can put the
SAFECode source code anywhere you like, use LLVM-style Makefiles in its
source code, and build it.  All of the PROJ_SRC_ROOT, PROJ_OBJ_ROOT
magic in the autoconf build system is what permits that feature to work.

Do you intend to keep this functionality when you replace autoconf with
cmake, or will all projects that want to use the LLVM build system need
to place their source code in the LLVM source tree?  To put it another
way, do you intend to deprecate the PROJ_SRC_ROOT/PROJ_OBJ_ROOT stuff?

While I've enjoyed the PROJ_* magic, I can see why you'd want to get rid
of it.  I just want to ensure that you are not planning on replacing it.

Regards,

John Criswell