[LLVMdev] New linker ownership

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 09:06:09 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Lang Hames <lhames at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rui,
>>
>> > so I'd like to be an owner of the new linkers (both for ELF and COFF),
>>
>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>> Do you mind if I add myself as a code owner for LLD Core / MachO, since
>> I'll be continuing to work on that?
>>

> I'm not very familiar with convention in LLVM, but my understanding is
> that one needs to became an effective owner by driving development of a
> project before becoming an official owner, so in that sense you may want to
> act like an owner and then wait for people to start thinking that you
> effectively own that portion of the source code?

Yep, pretty much.

It's no big deal for Lang to be contributing substantially in post-commit
review (& having ready access to Nick will no doubt be helpful there*) for
a bit before switching ownership.

* It'd be nice to have more lld discussions in public, too, though - the
project seems to sort of had singular interested parties for a lot of its
history, so it's lacked community dialog/discussion. (this is just a naive
view, I haven't followed the project in detail)

- Dave