[llvm-dev] RFC: ThinLTO File API and Data Structures

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 12 09:11:19 PDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google.com> wrote:

> This RFC describes the data structures to hold the ThinLTO function
> index/summary used to support function importing. It also describes the
> high-level APIs for reading and writing this information. As discussed in
> the high-level ThinLTO RFC (
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2015-May/086211.html), we
> would like to add support for native object wrapped bitcode and ThinLTO
> information. Based on comments on the mailing list, I am adding support for
> ThinLTO in both normal bitcode files, as well as native-object wrapped
> bitcode.
>
> I've implemented support for the data structures in
> http://reviews.llvm.org/D11721, and support for some of the APIs (not the
> libLTO API's, but the underlying ThinLTOObjectFile interfaces used by both
> libLTO and directly by gold) in http://reviews.llvm.org/D11723.
>
> The file format is described in a separate RFC I am sending
> simultaneously, which contains a pointer to the patch implementing the
> bitcode reading/writing support.
>
> Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!
> Teresa

Ping. Explicitly adding a few people who commented on the earlier
(high-level) ThinLTO RFC. I removed the body of the RFC here since the
original was large and had trouble getting through the mailer. I also
updated the patches mentioned above so that they were emailed to
llvm-commits properly.

Thanks,
Teresa

--