[LLVMdev] predicates vs. requirements [TableGen, X86InstrInfo.td]

Sanjay Patel spatel at rotateright.com
Thu Sep 18 14:25:07 PDT 2014

I tried to add an 'OptForSize' requirement to a pattern in X86InstrSSE.td,
but it appears to be ignored. However, the condition was detected when
specified as a predicate.

So this doesn't work:
   def : Pat<(v2f64 (X86VBroadcast (loadf64 addr:$src))), (VMOVDDUPrm addr:
$src)>,
                 *Requires<[OptForSize**]>*;

But this does:
*   let Predicates = [OptForSize] in* {
     def : Pat<(v2f64 (X86VBroadcast (loadf64 addr:$src))), (VMOVDDUPrm addr
:$src)>;
   }

I see both forms used on some patterns like this:
*  let Predicates = [HasAVX] *in {
    def : Pat<(X86Movddup (loadv2f64 addr:$src)),
              (VMOVDDUPrm addr:$src)>, *Requires<[HasAVX]>*;
  }

Is a predicate different than a requirement or is this a bug?

There are existing patterns that specify 'OptForSize' with "Requires", but
they are not behaving as I expected.

Example:
  // For scalar unary operations, fold a load into the operation
  // only in OptForSize mode. It eliminates an instruction, but it also
  // eliminates a whole-register clobber (the load), so it introduces a
  // partial register update condition.
  def : Pat<(f32 (fsqrt (load addr:$src))),
            (VSQRTSSm (f32 (IMPLICIT_DEF)), addr:$src)>,
            Requires<[HasAVX, OptForSize]>;

This is generated:
    vsqrtss    (%rdi), %xmm0, %xmm0

regardless of whether I specify -Os or -O1 with clang.