[LLVMdev] failed folding with constant array with opt -O3

Peng Cheng gm4cheng at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 12:00:47 PDT 2014

Thanks for your help!  Providing data layout works for the example I have.

I also feel there is still something else going on during the
investigation.

I have another simple ir, which basically does the same thing as the
original example except initialize the array element by element instead of
by an constant array.

---
define void @f(i32* nocapture %l0) {
entry:
  %fc_ = alloca [1 x i32]
  %0 = getelementptr inbounds [1 x i32]* %fc_, i32 0, i32 0
  store i32 1, i32* %0, align 4
  %1 = getelementptr [1 x i32]* %fc_, i64 0, i64 0
  %2 = load i32* %1
  %tobool = icmp eq i32 %2, 0
  br i1 %tobool, label %4, label %3

; <label>:3                                       ; preds = %entry
  store i32 1, i32* %l0
  br label %4

; <label>:4                                       ; preds = %entry, %3
  %storemerge = phi i32 [ 1, %3 ], [ 0, %entry ]
  store i32 %storemerge, i32* %l0
  ret void
}
---

For this ir, without target data layout,
opt -O2 got the expected optmization:

---
; ModuleID = 't1.txt'

; Function Attrs: nounwind
define void @f(i32* nocapture %l0) #0 {
  store i32 1, i32* %l0
  ret void
}

attributes #0 = { nounwind }
---

By checking the ir after each transformation, I see that gvn removes the
load expression and the transformations before do nothing.

So, I ran opt -gvn on the ir, but did not get load expression eliminated.

Checking into the gvn code.  Looks like the memory dependency computation
got different results for the load expression with -O2 or -gvn.  With O2,
the load is not clobbered, but with gvn alone, it says clobbered.

Does that sound expected?