[LLVMdev] Default build options

Vaibhav Bedia vaibhav.bedia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 17:31:27 PST 2014

Hi,

I have just started off exploring LLVM usage for a class that i am taking.

I cloned the git repos and spent about a day trying to get a working setup.
A large part of the time went in figuring out how to get a minimal config
working.

I noticed that by default LLVM builds for multiple architectures (in debug
mode!)
and there are config options to do host-only release build. When i started
off i kept
on getting link time errors due to lack of memory.

After a few cycles which involved increasing the memory allocated to the VM
instance
then increasing swap space and then creating a new VM with more disk space
(15GB
of free space for LLVM wasn't sufficient!) i am wondering why the defaults
are set the
way they are.

Do most of the users really care about arm, cpp, hexagon, mips, mipsel,
msp430,
powerpc, ptx, sparc, spu, systemz, x86, x86_64 and xcore at the same time?
Shouldn't enabling of more architectures be left to the power-users?

Regards,
Vaibhav