[LLVMdev] [RFC] LTO: deallocating llvm::Module inside lto_codegen_add_module

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Jan 21 18:38:50 PST 2014

My 2 cents...

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith <
dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:

> 1. Is this considered a change to the C API (and, thus, banned)?

I think this would indeed be a significant semantic change to the C API.

> 2. Are there any consumers that rely on llvm::Module being accessible after
>    LTOCodeGenerator::addModule?  What about llvm::TargetMachine?

I think we have to assume so. That's the down side to saying it is a stable
C API.

> 3. Would the proposed behaviour be especially surprising?

No, the behavior you describe seems sensible. I would just expect it to
need to go under a separate/new API to preserve backwards compatibility.