[LLVMdev] [RFC] Removing FCA constants from the IR

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Feb 3 03:48:58 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 3 February 2014 09:24, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
> > Currently, you're allowed to form a constant of aggregate type using any
> > number of other constants you like. This makes scanning the instructions
> of
> > the IR needlessly complex when looking for references to constants.
>
> How would that work for VTables and such, which are global constants?

I have no problems with aggregate constant initializers for global
variables. We can support the syntax without allowing them through the
verifier inside of function bodies.

My real problem lies with operands which are aggregate constant values.

As I said in my followup though, this problem is strictly smaller than the
constantexpr problem, and may not be worth addressing separately.