[LLVMdev] request for tutorial

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Tue Sep 24 12:05:19 PDT 2013

Hi Preston,

I don’t have any extra documentation to offer, but I’d be glad to talk through the topic with you at the dev conference and/or elsewhere. I’ve written several backends, so have a reasonable feel for what’s involved.

For example, I strongly suggest writing the integrated assembler and disassembler first, then adding compiler code generation support to that. It’s much easier to adjust assembler-centric definitions to play nicely with code generators than the other way around in my experience, and you end up with .td files that more accurately represent the architecture rather than just a compiler-centric view of that architecture.

-Jim