[LLVMdev] Does Mips resolve hazard in pre-ra-sched or post-ra-sched?

Liu Xin navy.xliu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 19:41:51 PDT 2013

Hi, LLVM,

I found LLVM codegen has 3 passes for instruction scheduling:

1) pre-ra sched
2) post-ra sched
3) mi sched.

for RISC machines, there are data hazard cases appear only after Register
Allocation(RA).  for example, $t0 is used immediately after writing(RAW):

ld $t0, MEM
add $t2, $t0, $0

There may be one or more stall in pipeline. Instruction scheduler can
detect this kinds of conflict and insert other instructions to avoid
pipeline bubble. I think this work only can be done after RA.  If so,
what's the purpose for 1). I found 1) is mandatory  and 2/3) are optional.
Further, at least one target enable pre-RA-sched with harzardRecognizer.
Does it really work out? you can resolve data hazard using pre-RA-sched
only?

thanks,
--lx