[LLVMdev] Some questions for an LLD Buildbot Slave

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Mon Nov 18 09:57:47 PST 2013

I'm in the process of configuring a Mac Mini G4 (PowerPC, big-endian) to be
an LLD buildbot slave, as there were some who wanted a big-endian tester of
LLD.

I have a few quick questions with respect to that:

1. LLD appears to be built using Clang, but Clang is not built as part of
the LLD build.  So which version of Clang should I use?  v3.3 or any
nightly build of Clang.  Is it enough that I occasionally build a Clang,
install it, and use that?

2. I'm not sure how to test LLD properly.  Is the test of LLD included in
the LLVM test suite or how do I ensure that the LLD test suite gets run on
this big-endian setup? (This is the whole point of setting up a big-endian
LLD buildbot slave: To test LLD in a big-endian environment.)

3. When trying to use a self-built version of Clang, I get an error about
libc++ missing when the buildbot slave tries to build LLD.  When I build
and install libc++, I get unresolved symbols (GNU exception handling
support routines) of the form "/usr/local/lib/libc++.so: undefined
reference to `__cxa_end_catch'".

As far as I am concerned, this build slave is not going be valuable in
terms of quickly reporting errors (it is only 1,25 GHz, so it is simply too
slow for that), but rather it will serve by testing LLD in a big-endian
setting.  I do hope that this build slave will reveal a number of issues in
LLD.

-- Mikael