[LLVMdev] Some questions for an LLD Buildbot Slave

Shankar Easwaran shankare at codeaurora.org
Mon Nov 18 10:16:02 PST 2013

On 11/18/2013 11:57 AM, Mikael Lyngvig wrote:
> I'm in the process of configuring a Mac Mini G4 (PowerPC, big-endian) to be
> an LLD buildbot slave, as there were some who wanted a big-endian tester of
> LLD.
>
> I have a few quick questions with respect to that:
>
> 1. LLD appears to be built using Clang, but Clang is not built as part of
> the LLD build.  So which version of Clang should I use?  v3.3 or any
> nightly build of Clang.  Is it enough that I occasionally build a Clang,
> install it, and use that?
It would be better in my opinion to use a stable clang build. I dont
know if any other project build uses the clang that was just built ?
> 2. I'm not sure how to test LLD properly.  Is the test of LLD included in
> the LLVM test suite or how do I ensure that the LLD test suite gets run on
> this big-endian setup? (This is the whole point of setting up a big-endian
> LLD buildbot slave: To test LLD in a big-endian environment.)
make check-lld from the lld build would run the lld tests.
> 3. When trying to use a self-built version of Clang, I get an error about
> libc++ missing when the buildbot slave tries to build LLD.  When I build
> and install libc++, I get unresolved symbols (GNU exception handling
> support routines) of the form "/usr/local/lib/libc++.so: undefined
> reference to `__cxa_end_catch'".
Did you try using libstdc++ ?

> As far as I am concerned, this build slave is not going be valuable in
> terms of quickly reporting errors (it is only 1,25 GHz, so it is simply too
> slow for that), but rather it will serve by testing LLD in a big-endian
> setting.  I do hope that this build slave will reveal a number of issues in
> LLD.
May be the buildslave can be scheduled less often ?

Thanks

Shankar Easwaran

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by the Linux Foundation