[LLVMdev] creating SCEV taking too long

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Mon Jul 29 16:18:05 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Guo, Xiaoyi <Xiaoyi.Guo at amd.com> wrote:

>    Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> We have a benchmark where there are 128 MAD computations in a loop. (See
> the attached IR.) Creating SCEVs for these expressions takes a long time,
> making the compile time too long. E.g., running opt with the “indvars” pass
> only takes 45 seconds.****
>
> ** **
>
> It seems that the majority of the time is spent in comparing the
> complexity of the expression operands to sort them.

Why not just fix this then?
I assume the issue is that they all end up with the same length/complexity,
so it both falls into the N^2 loop in GroupByComplexity, and the sort
itself takes a long time because it compares operand by operand.

This seems easy to fix by having GroupByComplexity calculate a very cheap
hash prior to sorting when number of operands is large, and then using that
hash before recursively comparing element by element to distinguish the
cases.

(You could also create/update this hash as you go, but that seems like it
would be more work)

Unless of course, they really are all the same expression, in which case,
this is harder :)