[LLVMdev] Build Clang and LLVM on Win 8

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Tue Jul 23 14:53:04 PDT 2013

Giorgio Franceschetti <g.franceschetti at vidya.it> writes:

> I also tried to build LLVM with 3.3 sources.
> Same problems.

If you omit compiler-rt, does it work? (compiler-rt is not a required
component.)

> Even worse, Visual Studio hangs and I had to kill the process.
>
> What could it be? Is Visual Studio 2012 working with LLVM/clang?
>
> Or LLVM/Clang is not supposed to work on windows (I saw also that
> there are no binaries ready for the windows platform).

For the most part, LLVM works fine on Windows, with some limitations.
Clang has serious shortcomings, more so if you build it with VS (Mingw
is better because Clang can use the headers and standard C++ library
that comes with MinGW, but not the standard C++ library that comes with
VS.)

>> It lists a lot of file not found during the execution, but at the
>> end it does create th visual studio projects.
>> Based on the web guide, it should be successful.
>> First question, is it really?

Yes. What you are seeing are the platform checks, where the build system
looks for the presence of functions, headers, etc and then generates a
configuration file with that information.