[LLVMdev] Problem Adding New Pass to Alias Analysis Group

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 10 14:18:33 PDT 2013

Dear All,

I think I just found the problem.

For those interested, only a few methods of the AliasAnalysis class are
virtual; many are non-virtual convenience wrapper that call the virtual
methods.  A new alias analysis cannot override the non-virtual methods;
it must override the virtual methods.

As it turns out, my alias analysis (more accurately, the alias analysis
that I'm porting) overrode the non-virtual wrappers and not the virtual
methods, so passes using it would call AliasAnalysis::<wrapperMethod>
which called the AliasAnalysis::<virtualMethod>.  I'm guessing the
wrapper methods were virtual in earlier versions of LLVM.

-- John T.