[LLVMdev] Problem Adding New Pass to Alias Analysis Group

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 10 14:06:20 PDT 2013

On 7/10/13 3:43 PM, Cristianno Martins wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> What opt command line arguments are you using?

I'm not using opt.  I'm manually scheduling a pipline within a tool.
The code looks like this:

PassManager pm;
MyAlias * aa = new MyAlias();
pm.add(aa);
pm.add(new MyAliasUsingPass());

Both MyAlias and MyAliasUsingPass are now ModulePass'es.  MyAlias is an
alias analysis pass while MyAliasUsingPass is a pass that requires an
alias analysis and performs a test query.

The output of -debug-pass=Structure is the following:

No Alias Analysis (always returns 'may' alias)
   ModulePass Manager
     MyAlias
     MyAliasUsingPass

I've changed MyAlias to call abort() when it is queried, but the program
never crashes when running MyAliasUsingPass, which indicates that my
MyAlias is never being used for queries.

I've also tried making MyAlias an ImmutablePass, but that didn't appear
to work either.

> If you follow this link
> <http://llvm.org/docs/Passes.html#no-aa-no-alias-analysis-always-returns-may-alias>,
> you can see that -no-aa is the default alias analysis implementation
> if you do not manually specify which AA passes you want to use. Note
> that you can pass as many different implementations of AA as you want,
> and each of them will be chained together for each function, like a
> pipeline, if the previous one was not able to determine if there is a
> dependence or not.

Yes, I am aware of how analysis groups are *supposed* to work.  :) I'm
just not getting the advertised functionality and am at a loss as to
what I could be doing wrong.

-- John T.