[LLVMdev] reproducing binaries on llvm.org

Arnaud A. de Grandmaison arnaud.adegm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 05:00:01 PDT 2013

On 07/10/2013 01:16 AM, Greg Fitzgerald wrote:
>> The script used for building the binaries can be found under llvm :
>> utils/release/test-release.sh
> Thanks!  A few follow-up questions:
>

>> # Phase 3: Build llvmCore with newly built clang from phase 2.
>>         c_compiler="$gcc_compiler -fplugin=$dragonegg_phase2_objdir/dragonegg.so"
>>         cxx_compiler="$gxx_compiler -fplugin=$dragonegg_phase2_objdir/dragonegg.so"
> Should that say "newly built dragonegg", not "newly built clang"?

It seems so. I saw Duncan just commited a fix to the comment.

>>    echo "# Creating symlinks"
> Is it possible to configure the build without modifying the llvm.src
> directory (by creating those symlinks)?  I see there is a
> '--with-clang' option.  Is there a general mechanism for pointing the
> build to external directories similar to the one in the CMake build?
>
> LLVM_EXTERNAL_<name>_SOURCE_DIR

I am not a user of the configure script, so I can not tell. For my every
day use of llvm, I use the CMake build. I just use test-release.sh when
doing a release so that all binaries from llvm.org are built the same
way. The configure & cmake build systems are not always equivalent.
There has been numerous threads on the mailing list already on this subject.

>>    $BuildDir/llvm.src/configure --prefix=$InstallDir
> Is there a version of this script that configures the build with CMake?

Not to my knowledge. Patches are welcome :)

This script is used for releasing the binaries at llvm.org. I think
there are some virtues in ensuring people use the same way of building
them. On the other hand, for individuals who wish to make their own
binaries, there could be a different script, with some more choices /
options. On the third hand ;-), the binaries on llvm.org are more
intended for quick off-the-shelf testing : distributions (debian, ...)
are expected to package the binaries differently --- and in a much more
complex way --- so that it integrates smoothly in their packaging system.

Cheers,

--
Arnaud A. de Grandmaison

--