[LLVMdev] [RFC] Switching make check to use 'set -o pipefail'

Stephen Lin swlin at post.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 4 22:11:43 PDT 2013

> I don't think it is all that many since it was less than one day of
> work for the in tree ones. But if there is the desire for such an
> option I can try to add it. What should I use? An environment
> variable?

Hmm, I don't know LLVM's Makefile system well enough to know the
easiest way to implement an option; if it's non-trivial then maybe
it's not worth it.

I also don't know the workflow of most people doing out-of-tree work,
so I'm not sure how much impact this might have. It can obviously be
temporarily reverted locally pretty easily, but it assumes people are
paying attention to LLVMDev/llvm-commits and know what's going on.
Also, the commit causing all the new failures might not be as obvious
down the line to someone updating their tree irregularly (which is
probably true for a lot of academic LLVM users, I'm guessing.)

Just curious, does using pipefail give any information about where in
the pipe the failure actually comes from? Some kind of message would
be useful for debugging purposes, in addition to explaining what's
going on to someone who wasn't watching dev lists and commit messages
carefully.

Anyway, perhaps none of this is as big of a deal as I'm making it out
to be; I'll leave it to someone with more awareness of downstream
workflows to comment further.

> Cheers,
> Rafael

Stephen