[LLVMdev] libNVVM vs LLVM

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:20:59 PST 2013

You can use either.

NVVM IR is just a pre-defined subset of LLVM IR along with some conventions
and intrinsics for generating PTX assembly.  You can use the open-source
version of LLVM along with the NVPTX back-end to compile LLVM IR to PTX.  A
goal of the open-source NVPTX back-end is to be 100% compatible with this
IR specification.  Depending on your needs, the open-source version tracks
upstream changes more closely (since it is part of the upstream repository).

The libnvvm library is the "official" compiler library that provides an
easy-to-use API for reading LLVM IR modules and compiling them to PTX,
without needing to interface with LLVM APIs directly.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Krzysztof Kamieniecki <krys at kamieniecki.com
> wrote:

> I can't seem to find a direct answer. If I want to convert NVVM IR to PTX
> code, do I have to use libNVVM or can I use a publicly released version of
> LLVM?

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski