[LLVMdev] How to get the debug information for an LLVM IR type?

Pei Wang uraj.wp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 07:10:32 PST 2013

Thank you, Duncan. Then how about the composite types, especially struct and class types? I think they are more distinguishable from each other.

Pei Wang

> Hi Pei Wang,

> On 19/01/13 22:34, Pei Wang wrote:
>>/   Hi,
/>>/
/>/>  I am now trying to do some code analysis and need to get the debug information
/>/>  of the LLVM IR type encountered in the bitcode.
/
> I don't think this is going to work, because many different types in the
> original language map to the same LLVM IR type.  For example the C types "int"
> and "unsigned" both become "i32" in LLVM.  Yet "int" and "unsigned" have
> different debug info AFAIK, so which debug info should "i32"  be mapped too?

> Ciao, Duncan.

>>/
/>/>  In detail, given a LLVM Type object, is it possible for me to retrieve the
/>/>  corresponding DIType (or MDNode) object? I feel LLVM should be able to know
/>/>  everything about a type, if the source file is compiled with the -g option by
/>/>  clang. I tried various methods but none of them allows me to connect a specific
/>/>  Type with its debug information.
/>>/
/>/>  Any one knows how to achieve this? Thank you in advance.
/>>/
/>/>  Pei Wang/