[LLVMdev] [Polly] Aliasing problems escalation (WAS: Re: [DragonEgg] [Polly] Should we expect DragonEgg to produce identical LLVM IR for identical GIMPLE?)

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Wed Jan 16 00:12:18 PST 2013

Hi Dmitry,

On 15/01/13 22:22, Dmitry Mikushin wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> You mean - what happens if DragonEgg is invoked with GCC optimization? I tried
> -O3 and -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-ir-optimize=1, but nothing changed.

no, I meant if you run gcc with optimization and don't use dragonegg at all.
If I understand right, your problem is that the LLVM optimizers don't remove
some loads, and this blocks polly.  If the GCC optimizers are able to remove
the loads, then that means that the gcc optimizers have access to some info
that the LLVM optimizers don't have (because removing the loads is invalid
given the information currently in the IR).  We would then have to just have
to teach dragonegg to extract that information and pass it on to the LLVM
optimizers.

Ciao, Duncan.