[LLVMdev] [lld] Linker script findings.

shankare at codeaurora.org shankare at codeaurora.org
Wed Jan 9 06:13:36 PST 2013

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Shankar Easwaran
> <shankare at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>> Also the linker script functionality is only needed by ELF and not
>> anything
>> else. It should be contained only within ELF.
>
> I agree with your point about encapsulation and separation of
> concerns. However, I believe that GNU ld will accept and use linker
> scripts even for the non-ELF formats it supports (not that we intend
> to emulate that behavior necessarily), so they aren't ELF-specific per
> se. Thus I feel that the right categorization might be "GNU ld"-only,
> and hence it would naturally be just a component of the GNU ld
> frontend, where it would be isolated from the rest of LLD.

I dont think any other format has the functionality of sections and
segments with segment and section permissions etc.

Are you planning to mimic 1-1 lld to ld linker script functionality ?

Do you by any chance have a proposal of how the lld linker script would
look if there is a difference b/w ld and lld linker scripts ?

Maybe the first version could be just ELF centric.

Thanks

Shankar Easwaran