[LLVMdev] [lld] Linker script findings.

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Tue Jan 8 23:44:26 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Shankar Easwaran
<shankare at codeaurora.org> wrote:
> Also the linker script functionality is only needed by ELF and not anything
> else. It should be contained only within ELF.

I agree with your point about encapsulation and separation of
concerns. However, I believe that GNU ld will accept and use linker
scripts even for the non-ELF formats it supports (not that we intend
to emulate that behavior necessarily), so they aren't ELF-specific per
se. Thus I feel that the right categorization might be "GNU ld"-only,
and hence it would naturally be just a component of the GNU ld
frontend, where it would be isolated from the rest of LLD.

-- Sean Silva