[LLVMdev] Test Suite - Livermore Loops

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 08:37:46 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 3 January 2013 16:15, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Part of the issue here is whether or not the Make-based execution is
>> still maintained/valued. I'm getting the impression that the LNT
>> execution may be already, or be becoming, the standard way to run the
>> test suite even when not gathering perf statistics. Michael/Daniel -
>> is that the case?
>

> The main issue here is that Clang seems not to be choosing link time
> optimizations by default, while the make-based run calls it explicitly. So
> it is possible to achieve the same effect (ie. cover LTO) by turning them on
> on some runs (for all types of tests on all hardware configurations).
>

>> If so, should we rip out the direct Make execution, or do something to
>> otherwise warn/disable it?
>

> I'd strongly recommend that we use only one test style (LNT) everywhere,

Sure, I understand that's your preference (& mine). I was mostly
directing that question at Daniel & Michael to ensure they were on the
same page.

My only hesitation here is that using LNT as the authoritative runner
does have a little more setup overhead for people wishing to run the
suite (they need to install some extra stuff).

> and
> that we should test LTO more effectively.

Certainly - I expect Bill (Wendling) is working on that sooner or
later, as he seems to be making LTO a priority.

- David