[LLVMdev] Test Suite - Livermore Loops

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Jan 3 08:29:15 PST 2013

On 3 January 2013 16:15, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Part of the issue here is whether or not the Make-based execution is
> still maintained/valued. I'm getting the impression that the LNT
> execution may be already, or be becoming, the standard way to run the
> test suite even when not gathering perf statistics. Michael/Daniel -
> is that the case?

The main issue here is that Clang seems not to be choosing link time
optimizations by default, while the make-based run calls it explicitly. So
it is possible to achieve the same effect (ie. cover LTO) by turning them
on on some runs (for all types of tests on all hardware configurations).

> If so, should we rip out the direct Make execution, or do something to
> otherwise warn/disable it?

I'd strongly recommend that we use only one test style (LNT) everywhere,
and that we should test LTO more effectively.

cheers,
--renato