[LLVMdev] How do I disable --version-script when cross compiling clang/LLVM on a Mac?

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Sat Dec 21 15:21:40 PST 2013

On 21/12/2013 22:51, Richard Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I asked this question a few days ago and didn't get any responses. I
> thought I'd try again with a little more detail.
>
> I am trying to cross compile my clang/LLVM based ELLCC cross
> development tools project (http://ellcc.org)

Hi Richard,

Nobody replied because your question lacks immediate relevance to this
mailing list.

You may have more luck if you pose your question in a way that relates
to, and can be tried using stock LLVM/clang.

If you think there's a bug, you can also file a bug report at
http://llvm.org/bugs/ including the steps needed to reproduce the issue.

Feel free to CC me in, hope we can set you in the right direction.

Alp.

> on a Mac. I am targeting ARM/Linux. The build fails while building
> FileCheck (or tbl-gen or any of the other build tools built during the
> cross-compile-build-tools step) because the build rules try to pass
> the --version-script option to the linker. There is a lot of configure
> magic going on and I can't seem to find the spell that says not to use
> --version-script on a Mac.
>
> A little clarification of my problem. ELLCC builds fine on a Mac and
> creates executables that can be used to create ARM/Linux programs (or
> Mips/Linux, Microblaze/Linux, PowerPC/Linux, etc). The trouble I'm
> having is when I try to make ELLCC compile itself for the target.
>
> clang/LLVM needs several tools that it supplies that need to run on
> the build host. Those tools are being compiled properly as Mac
> executables using the native Mac clang, but the link stage is mixed up
> and trying to use --version-script even though the Mac linker doesn't
> support it.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> -Rich

http://www.nuanti.com