[LLVMdev] How do I disable --version-script when cross compiling clang/LLVM on a Mac?

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Sat Dec 21 14:51:20 PST 2013

Hi,

I asked this question a few days ago and didn't get any responses. I
thought I'd try again with a little more detail.

I am trying to cross compile my clang/LLVM based ELLCC cross development
tools project (http://ellcc.org)  on a Mac. I am targeting ARM/Linux.
The build fails while building FileCheck (or tbl-gen or any of the other
build tools built during the cross-compile-build-tools step) because the
build rules try to pass the --version-script option to the linker. There
is a lot of configure magic going on and I can't seem to find the spell
that says not to use --version-script on a Mac.

A little clarification of my problem. ELLCC builds fine on a Mac and
creates executables that can be used to create ARM/Linux programs (or
Mips/Linux, Microblaze/Linux, PowerPC/Linux, etc). The trouble I'm
having is when I try to make ELLCC compile itself for the target.

clang/LLVM needs several tools that it supplies that need to run on the
build host. Those tools are being compiled properly as Mac executables
using the native Mac clang, but the link stage is mixed up and trying to
use --version-script even though the Mac linker doesn't support it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Rich