[LLVMdev] LNT ClamAV - Sorting output

David Tweed david.tweed at arm.com
Mon Apr 22 03:08:36 PDT 2013

| This is (maybe to a lesser extent) what happens with most of our
benchmarks, and running them 3 times doesn't add that much confidence but
makes it run much slower. I end up treating the test-suite as functionality
and correctness test, rather than

|useful benchmark data.

|I agree it would be great to have a decent benchmark infrastructure for
LLVM, but I'm not sure the test-suite is the appropriate place. Maybe a
different type of run that crank the inputs up to 11 and let the
applications run for longer, to be run once a

|week or so wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

Performance benchmarking also has a coupling to the memory space layout
(both code and run-time data placement) that can make individual comparisons
of a single before and single after compile be unrepresentative, eg, see

http://plasma.cs.umass.edu/emery/stabilizer

Addressing this without going quite as far as the stabilizer stuff goes is
turning out to be quite challenging.

Cheers,

Dave