[LLVMdev] make check rebuilds the project?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Apr 17 13:17:38 PDT 2013

Jim Grosbach <grosbach at apple.com> writes:

[snip]

> For me personally, it’s more a question of supported workflows being
> inconvenient than it being a strict non-starter. That is, it’s a
> question of which system has fewer inconveniences for me in my daily
> work. Right now, that’s configure+make. I’m very much looking forward
> to the day when the balance of that equation changes.

I read that as "I'm accustomed to the configure+make way of doing things
and migrating to cmake is not something I think is worth my time."

This is a respectable stance, but it should never be taken as a general
adequacy measure of the cmake build (which nevertheless still might lack
significant features, dunno.)

[snip]

> AFAIK ninja still only has very preliminary support for Windows, so
> anyone working there can’t use it. Perhaps that’s changed or I’m
> misinformed?

I'm using cmake+ninja on Windows since a year or so for building
command-line and gui applications that use LLVM, and for building LLVM
itself.

OTOH please note that cmake supports quite a few build tools, with ninja
being just one of them.

[snip]

> Do the cmake scripts support cross-compiling?

Cross-compiling should work. Long time ago I used to build LLVM on Linux
with the MinGW toolset.

[snip]