[LLVMdev] make check rebuilds the project?

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Wed Apr 17 10:50:30 PDT 2013

On 04/17/2013 09:50 AM, Eric Christopher wrote:
> Because almost no other piece of software out there doesn't have
> 'check' depend on rebuilding the target it's testing and it's bitten
> people whereas other than the lameness of our build system needing to
> recurse all the directories to figure out that all has already been
> rebuilt there's no penalty to requiring the dependency. :)

As a single datapoint, I've been relying on the fact that make check
doesn't rebuild. Sometimes I work on underpowered machines and will
continue to reformat my code after the .o file has been built. Relinking
can take more than five minutes. I do not like this change, but my
argument is also rather silly, per http://xkcd.com/1172 .

Nick

> -eric
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Bob Wilson<bob.wilson at apple.com>  wrote:
>> Eric changed it in svn 179116.  He didn't provide any explanation in the commit message.  Eric, why did you do that?
>>
>> On Apr 17, 2013, at 8:30 AM, Arnold Schwaighofer<aschwaighofer at apple.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> It appears the behavior of "make check" has changed recently (configure style build).  I believe it used to just run the tests. Now, it seems to recompile the project just like a "make" would and then run the tests. Is it just me or are others seeing this too? Is this a intended behavior change?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Arnold