[LLVMdev] Handling of unsafe functions

Martinez, Javier E javier.e.martinez at intel.com
Thu Sep 20 20:52:47 PDT 2012

>From the responses it's pretty clear that the preference is to avoid using C string functions altogether. I've attached at list of calls in Clang/LLVM. The EASY/MEDIUM/DIFFICULT tag is an estimate of the effort to replace the call based on the location of the source buffer. If there are no objections I'll prepare a patch that replaces the string manipulation functions an appropriate  string object.

The proposal comments have largely centered on the string functions. Do people feel the same way about memcpy_s? What about those of you building LLVM on Windows with Visual Studio?

I know both functions can be used the wrong way but at least the "secure" version makes one think about the value passed for destination size. Very likely most of the 1691 uses of memcpy in Clang/LLVM are correct but with such a high number of uses there are likely a few that are not. I'm willing to plow through all the calls to check the parameters while making the change to the memcpy_secure version from the proposal.

Thanks,
Javier