[LLVMdev] Question on Fence Instruction

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 17 07:45:31 PDT 2012

On 10/17/12 9:21 AM, Duan, Yue Lu wrote:
> Thank you very much for the quick reply. I was trying to confirm what I did was correct. I did a test that could enable a simple way of sc-preserving compilation by inserting fences for every load/store instruction before any opts, applying standard opts and then removing them after assembly code generation. It turned out that such sc-preserving compilation only caused ~4% slowdown for 18 benchmarks on average on a Intel Xeon machine. The result surprised me a lot because it was reported that such naive way of compilation can cause 20% slowdown in a recent PLDI paper (they also use LLVM), so I posted this question. I will try to examine if the generated binary code really respects sc fences.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but why are you removing the
fences before code generation? I would think that removing the fences
would permit the hardware to re-order loads and stores in a way that
violates sequential consistency. In other words, while you've ensured
that the compiler doesn't do anything to violate sc, you're letting the
hardware violate sc.

Are you compiling for a machine that is sequentially consistent by default?

Also, to what PLDI paper are you referring?

-- John T.