[LLVMdev] Getting Started

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Nov 30 04:32:57 PST 2012

David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On 29 Nov 2012, at 17:46, Eli Bendersky wrote:
>
>> I think this is a good idea, although personally I'd prefer the script
>> to be written in Python to allow more portability (i.e. using it on
>> Windows as well).
>
> If you are doing a build using the UNIX-like way of checking
> everything out and building it, then you will already have a shell
> installed via mingw or cygwin on Windows. If you are doing a build via
> Visual Studio or similar, then you will not be using this script.

There is no "Unix-like way of checking everything out". The method is
exactly the same on MS-Windows and Unix. The script does not build, but
even doing that step requires the same commands for Visual Studio and
GCC (at least if you use CMake, because the configure&make build is
useless for VS.)

> Rewriting it in Python just adds a needless dependency.

"needless" as "I don't care about what it adds"? ;-)

IMHO, this script adds very little convenience. Maybe it saves you one
minute or two the first time you checkout the working copies and it is
oblivious to some popular variants (git mirror, for instance.) But if
anyone finds it useful, good for him.