[LLVMdev] Automating Analysis Pass at linktime question [liblto] [safecode]

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Fri Nov 9 22:53:13 PST 2012

On 11/8/12 2:28 PM, Henry Abbey wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a research assistant at the University of Wisconsin

I'm originally from Wisconsin.  Go Bucky!

> and we're trying to come up with a general way to run our whole
> program analysis over programs that may use different methods to
> perform the build.  I saw some discussion that liblto could be used
> for this (and safecode successfully did it) for llvm 2.6 - 3.0, but
> that doesn't seem to be working the same way with llvm 3.1+.

We're successfully using libLTO with SAFECode mainline which is now
tracking LLVM mainline.  What platform are you on, and what problems are
you having?  Is the issue that the linker isn't running libLTO at all,
or is the problem that the linker is not loading your modified version
of libLTO?

>   Is it still possible to install our pass into liblto directly
> anymore?  Is there perhaps a better way to have the linker intercept
> and run our analysis not using liblto?

I don't know of anything better than libLTO.

-- John T.