[LLVMdev] LLVM test a pass

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed May 23 07:57:39 PDT 2012

On 5/23/12 9:48 AM, Rinaldini Julien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently developping a pass for LLVM and I was wondering what's the best way to test if it work correctly.
>
> Right now to test my pass, I'm compiling libtomcrypt with LLVM and an other time LLVM+my pass. After that I run the test framework of libtomcrypt
> and compare the result.
>
> Is there a best way to do that? Maybe using the test suite from LLVM is better (I tought it used some "very" particular piece of code to see if LLVM does it's job)?

When testing a pass, you want to expose it to as many programs as
possible.  The LLVM test-suite would be a good place to find programs to
test.  You may also want to try doing a "make world" on FreeBSD with
your pass or trying out commonly used GNU programs (like GNU zip, GNU
tar, flex, make, bison, GCC, etc.).  You could even test your pass on
LLVM itself.

If you want to go for big applications, test Apache, MySQL, Firefox, and
Thunderbird.

-- John T.