[LLVMdev] Fortress project calls it quits due to lack of a decent VM

B. Scott Michel scottm at aero.org
Mon Jul 23 09:06:44 PDT 2012

It's more likely that internal R&D funds are prioritized. Resources are
not infinite. For example, if fixing geospatial indexing in a
distributed cluster needs R&D money, it's more likely to get that
funding than a language with limited adoption prospects.

IIRC, Fortress and Chapel were both funded through the DARPA HPCS
program. HPCS wrapped up a few years ago now. So, the "working with
DARPA" part is only partially factual. I also seem to recall that
Fortress did not survive a down-select in the first phase of HPCS and
that Sun had to go it alone to continue the project.

-scooter