[LLVMdev] ../llvm/configure fails in Cygwin with space character in path name?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Sep 22 11:20:42 PDT 2011

Am 22.09.2011 14:31, schrieb Csaba Raduly:
> GNU Make doesn't handle embedded spaces:

Actually it does.
It's just not pretty.
See http://www.cmcrossroads.com/index2.php?option=com_content&id=7859
(Google it as "GNU Make meets file names with spaces in them", including
the quotes.)

Note that the more obscure techniques can be reliably used in an LLVM
context, since LLVM relies on GNU Make anyway.
I do not know whether this will stay so in the future; I guess that's
for the LLVM team to answer.

> $ cat Makefile
> all: foo\ bar
>
> foo\ bar: foo\ bar.o

The above URL tells me you need to double the backslashes.
I.e. your Makefile should look like this:

all: foo\\ bar
foo\\ bar: foo\\ bar.o

(Disclaimer: I haven't tested this.)

> It's probably best to avoid spaces in filenames from the outset.

That's actually the strategy that the above-linked text recommends.
(It's also a shame.)

Regards,
Jo