[LLVMdev] ../llvm/configure fails in Cygwin with space character in path name?

Csaba Raduly rcsaba at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 05:31:12 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Jim Grosbach  wrote:
> Why shouldn't they accept paths with spaces in them? *nix supports that, generally. So long as the paths are properly escaped in any input, things should work. If they don't, it's a bug.

GNU Make doesn't handle embedded spaces:

$ cat Makefile
all: foo\ bar

foo\ bar: foo\ bar.o

$ ls
foo bar.c  Makefile

$ make
make: *** No rule to make target `foo bar.o', needed by `foo bar'.  Stop.

Make seems unable to find the link from "foo bar.c" to "foo bar.o"
Shell quoting with ' ' does not apply.

It's probably best to avoid spaces in filenames from the outset.

Csaba