[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Tue Sep 13 07:36:23 PDT 2011

Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> writes:

>> A switch to git is scary because it *is* a shift in how we think about
>> the project.
>
> If you're coming at this from the "llvm development processes are
> broken, we should switch to git so that we can fix them" then I'd
> claim that you're doing it backwards.

That's not what I'm saying.  As much as I dislike the analogy and think
it gets way overused, I think it may actually apply here.  Moving from
svn to a DVCS (whichever one it is) is moving from the Cathedral to the
Bazaar.

That's the scary/unknown part.  The processes can be exactly the same.
I am not advocating for any process changes.  It is very important to
understand this.  git does not impose any process changes.

The differences are in barrier to entry, ability to share amonst
sub-projects, ability to manage private repositories and other things we
simply cannot do with svn right now.

But we've had all of this discussion and it looks like we're sticking
with svn.  I'll deal with it.

                              -Dave