[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Sat Sep 3 04:40:32 PDT 2011

On Sep 1, 2011, at 3:15 PM, FlyLanguage wrote:

>> Is that really true?  I've heard of a lot of LLVM developers using git
>> but it all seems very opaque right now.  That's why I hope to get people
>> talking so we can find out where everyone is and go from there.
>
> Yet, there's surprisingly little complaint about Subversion around here,
> which is kinda unfortunate :)

I know you're being facetious, but why is it unfortunate? SVN serves our workflow very well. The versioning system should get out of the way of development; it shouldn't "pull focus." SVN doesn't require you to spend a lot of time learning it and adapting to its way of doing things. (The learning curve for SVN was small for me. My initial (and subsequent) experiences with git are that it's very, very complex. And it gets in the way of most things I want to do. I still don't know what a "ref" or "object" is.)

-bw