[LLVMdev] Error when installing VMKit

Nicolas Geoffray nicolas.geoffray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 02:09:40 PDT 2011

Hi Bakiras,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM, bakiras <h.bakiras at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am Harris Bakiras the new VMKit engineer.

Welcome :)

> I followed the VMKit "Getting Started" instructions to install VMKit on
> my Linux Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit but I get the following error :
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass/Release+Asserts/StaticGCPass.ll',
> needed by
> `VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass/Release+Asserts/StaticGCPass.bc'.
>  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass'
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> I installed llvm-gcc-4.5 with the apt-get tool before building LLVM from
> SVN successfully.
>
> I downloaded GNU Classpath 0.97.2 and installed it like described in the
> getting started.
>
> I configured VMKit like the following :
>
> ./configure CC=llvm-gcc CXX=llvm-g++ --with-llvmsrc=LLVMROOTDIR
> --with-llvmobj=LLVMROOTDIR
> --with-gnu-classpath-libs=CLASSPATHROOTDIR/lib
> --with-gnu-classpath-glibj=CLASSPATHROOTDIR/lib/glibj.zip

I'm not sure CC and CXX help configuring vmkit. I haven't checked for a
while, but it may be that llvm-gcc/llvm-g++ do not work anymore to compile
vmkit. What you should do is get the svn version of clang, compile it and
use it instead of llvm-gcc. I believe you don't need to provide CC and CXX
to vmkit's configure in that case. The configure scripts of vmkit and llvm
will find clang.

Cheers,
Nicolas