[LLVMdev] Compile llvm-gcc fortran backend using mingw

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Mon Oct 17 05:00:59 PDT 2011

Hi Albert,

> On 10/17/2011 10:09 AM, Duncan Sands wrote:
>> llvm-gcc is dead, deprecated in favour of clang and dragonegg.  It won't be part
>> of the upcoming 3.0 release.  This is why no-one is interested in working on it.
>
> The tentative release notes still say otherwise: "LLVM 3.0 will be the
> last release of llvm-gcc." (http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html)

this was a result of someone replacing 2.9 with 3.0 everywhere in that doc.
If you check the 2.9 release notes you will see that this was announced in
2.9 release.

> I understand that llvm-gcc is being phased out in favour of dragonegg,
> but (at least according to its own website) dragonegg is still a bit
> rough around the edges and requires a patched gcc 4.5 to work.

The 3.0 version does not require a patched gcc-4.5.  It also works with
gcc-4.6.  It does have its rough spots, but they were all inherited from
llvm-gcc, which has the same problems and many more besides.

  So
> llvm-gcc still serves an important role, if only for the Fortran and Ada
> compilers.

In my opinion dragonegg now works better than llvm-gcc ever did, in particular
for Fortran.

Ciao, Duncan.