[LLVMdev] Request for merge: GHC/ARM calling convention.

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Fri Oct 14 06:05:54 PDT 2011

Hello,

today is the last day[1] when someone might ask for feature merge into
the LLVM 3.0 release. I'd like to ask you to merge attached patch. This
is implementation of GHC calling convention on ARM platform which is
made by Stephen Blackheath with few additions by me. I hope that
although the patch does not contain any test case, it still will be
merged. The reason for this is that the patch itself is short and easy
to read and it should not affect other parts of LLVM at all (from
reading the code). Also the patch itself is already tested quite a lot
by me, since using this I've built various GHC HEAD version over the
time of last 3 months[2]. Also the patch does not add new feature (GHC
calling convention) since this is already well supported on x86/x64
platform, but the patch just enhances this support to also support ARM
platform and its really just ARM specific hence not affecting any other
platform.

By including this patch you will easy adoption of GHC on ARM platform,
and although GHC is already available on ARM platform in its
"unregisterised" form, when LLVM is available with patch applied, GHC
might be build in "registerised" form. This provides not only a lot of
nice features of GHC (GHCi, Template Haskell, DPH etc.) but also
significant performance improvement[3]. This all is missing from
"unregisterised" built and might be presented in case of LLVM-supported
"registerised" build of GHC.

If you insist an even minimalistic test-case, then please let me know. I
do have quite a lot of commitments now, but I'll try to come with
something till the end of this month. Anyway, I still hope that missing
test is not merge-stopper especially when GHC/LLVM/ARM is tested with
its own set of tests...

Thanks for considering this!
Karel

[1]: http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2011-September/043287.html