[LLVMdev] ARM Qualification

Tanya Lattner lattner at apple.com
Thu Oct 13 17:49:35 PDT 2011

On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:43 PM, David A. Greene wrote:

> Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> writes:
>
>> Improving the test suite is always welcome.
>
> Do we have an idea of what sorts of improvements we'd like?  Any codes
> that we want to add, for example?  What would be useful for ARM?
>
>> In addition, we send out pre-release tarballs and have people in the
>> community build and test their programs with it. This is not a perfect
>> system, but it's one which works for us given the number of testers
>> available, the amount of time and resources they have, and whatever
>> fixes need to be merged into the release.
>>
>> ARM qualification is a bit trickier, because of the different specific
>> chips out there, different OSes, and having to verify ARM, Thumb1, and
>> Thumb2 for the same configurations. And the tests tend to run a bit
>> slower than, say, an x86 chip. So it's mostly a matter of time and
>> resources. Unless we can get people who are willing to perform these
>> tests, we won't be able to release ARM as an official supported
>> platform.
>
> Resources isn't the only problem.  I've asked several times about adding
> my personal machines to the testing pool but I never get a reply.  So
> there they sit idle every day, processing the occasional e-mail when
> they could be chewing LLVM tests.

I'm pretty sure this has been answered:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2010-September/034555.html

But now the master has moved (this week), so its no longer osuosl.

However, I do agree that it should be put into an appropriate place on the website (if its there, I can't easily find it).

-Tanya