[LLVMdev] LLC ARM Backend maintainer

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Thu Oct 13 11:52:57 PDT 2011

Atmel makes a whole bunch of different ARM-based System-on-Chip
modules.  These come with some Flash, RAM and I/O all on one chip.

I expect it would be reasonably affordable to buy one of Atmel's
developer target boards for each instruction set variant LLVM
supports.

My Overo Fire COM is Gumstix' fanciest CPU board.  I also have a Tobi
expansion board for 100 MBPS ethernet, DVI video, USB for keyboard and
mouse and (I expect) USB hard drives, USB serial for the Linux console
and so on.  The CPU board also has WiFi and Bluetooth.

It's got enough memory and is fast enough that with some additional
storage it can be used as a desktop computer.

All their Overo boards have Cortex A8s, and so support ARMv7A.

Gumstix also sells a much cheaper board called the Verdex Pro that use
Marvell chips "With Xscale".  I think that means Marvell must have
licensed the Xscale IP from Intel.

The Xscale core indicates that the Verdex Pro supports the ARMv5TE instructions.

The Gumstix Verdex Pross don't have as much memory as the Overos so
they may not be useful as desktop computers but they would certainly
be suitable for running LLVM's test suite and some benchmarks.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation
quixote at dulcineatech.com