[LLVMdev] DSA or rDSA ?

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 13 08:59:28 PDT 2011

On 10/1/11 11:01 PM, Manish Gupta wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to use DataStructure Alias Analysis. From the code at
> poolalloc it seems that rDSA needs to be compiled to get -ds-aa
> feature while the Makefile builds just the DSA.

I seem to recall replying to this, but my email client says I didn't, so
I'm responding again.
:)

The rDSA code is some experimental code that we abandoned.  We removed
the -ds-aa pass in mainline poolalloc because we weren't maintaining it
and, to the best of our knowledge, no one was using it.

Someone sent a patch (I think to the mailing list, but potentially just
to me) that resurrected the -ds-aa pass for DSA with LLVM 2.9 (note that
we don't support LLVM 2.9; I think this person just got it to work on
his own since LLVM 2.9 and LLVM 3.0 were pretty similar at the time).  I
didn't integrate it as I didn't have time to review it, and it contains
other stuff besides the -ds-aa change.

Just out of curiosity, are people interested in using DSA via the
AliasAnalysis interface?

-- John T.