[LLVMdev] ARM Qualification

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Tue Oct 11 17:04:06 PDT 2011

The need for ARM hardware can be partially satisfied by using ARM
emulators like softgun, QEMU and I think there is an ARM emulator that
can be built as part of GDB.  Of course the ARM Holdings development
system comes with an emulator.

You could run several emulator processes on an x86 or x86_64 server
that has more RAM than your typical ARM boards do and get a full test
run in a short amount of time.

Of course this risks that test failures may actually be bugs in the
emulators, but I assert those would be useful results.  If we can't
explain our own test failures as bugs in LLVM then maybe we have a
useful bug to report to the emulator developers.

Real ARM boards can be had cheap these days.  The Raspberry Pi
lower-end model will just be $25.00.  I own a Gumstix Overo Fire COM
that cost me about $200, plus about $200 for a Tobi add-on board for
I/O.  Gumstix also sells boards for making distributed computers that
are connected via 100 MBPS ethernet.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha